Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Fellow Expat in Distress

Here's the situation:
I know the odds are pretty low, but I wanted to ask for your help. I just had my laptop stolen, and it has most of my entire life on it – I’m more than devastated. I wanted to know if you could ask around or maybe even post this information on your site, in the hopes of recovering it. I know how difficult it is to run through the police, and I’m really kind of panicking. Thanks for your help, and I understand if you can’t.
Yeah, I'm not sure the police would be able to do much. It'd probably wind up frustrating you more than anything else. Luckily, I haven't had anything stolen in my time here, but it certainly happens. The questioner is clearly stressed and I hate seeing fellow expats suffer.

Can you help?

Description:

White Macbook, 13.3 inch plastic
There are two dents on the right hand corners of the keyboard when you open it up

It was lost at Mike’s Cabin in Shinchon between the hours of 12 am and 3:15 am on Friday night-Saturday morning (March 5-6).

It was taken out of a bag against the wall next to the DJ booth. Anyone who was any information, please contact me. (k.j.derosa@gmail.com)
 Or if anyone has been through this before, perhaps you could offer some advice...

5 comments:

Logan Row said...

Humm . . . . . That’s a tough’un.

Your best bet might be to find the top five online classifieds in Korea (I’ve been out of the loop for some time, so I’m afraid I’m not in a position to recommend any), and check the postings regularly. Unfortunately, this will likely only bring you solace in so much as it’ll give you the illusion of staging an active search. While Korea is fairly safe, when things are stolen, they’re often gone for good. The hard truth is that there are more than 10,000 ways to get rid of a popular stolen gadget in Seoul.

I’ve lost two cell phones in taxis in Seoul. It just happens. There’s little you can do about it. I don’t imagine this post lifted your spirits much. But—in my humble opinion at least—it’s better to get the Band Aid off quickly.

I recommend carbonite.com next time.

Good luck

kushibo said...

My laptop was stolen in Korea, and I'll tell you up front that you're not likely to get it back.

Do you have the serial number? If not, Apple might have it (contact the people from whom you purchased it). File a police report so that they have the number, and contact Apple and let them know that your computer with that serial number was stolen.

I don't know that they'll be able to do anything, but if the MacBook is taken to an Apple dealer, it might trigger something in their computer. One thing that you have going for you is that Apple's generally need to be fixed at authorized Apple fixers.

The Expat said...

Kushibo,

How does filing a report with limited language ability go? I know you speak Korean well, but have you heard anything?

kushibo said...

The purpose of filing a report is to have an official record with the authorities, so that you can make a legal claim if it turns up.

Most gu-level police stations have a 외사계, a foreign affairs department, I think, so there should be someone who could help file in English to file a report. Otherwise, bring a bilingual friend. (If I were in Seoul, I'd volunteer my services, but I'm way over here in Hawaii.)

I never heard anything about mine, but it was old enough that I didn't really think of it as that horrible a loss.

Back everything up with Time Machine and keep your Time Machine backup separate from your computer.

MATINA said...

I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.